Wednesday, November 5, 2008

So, what now?

I think there are a lot of republicans are scratching their heads this morning. I think we expected Obama to win but not in the landslide victory that we saw. What happened? What do we do now? I've given some thought to this and here is what I have concluded so far:
  1. The people have spoken. The democracy that makes America great is also the thing that allows the "other guy" to win and it is also the thing that I have had a friend die fighting for and that John McCain spent years as a POW for. While I may not have voted for Obama, or even really like him, I can give him the respect that his position deserves... and I will.

  2. Get involved! I am as guilty as the next person of playing arm chair politics. With the Republican party in a shambles this morning it is time for young America to get involved again. Find your local party office and see how you can help. Run for office. Donate. Attend rallies. Educate yourself on the issues. Do something... not nothing.
Today I am just as proud to be an American as I was in 2000 when President Bush was elected. It's the other party's turn now. It is their turn to celebrate like I did in 2000 and 2004. However, when the celebration dies down I hope that the rights, the lefts, the Christians, the Jews, the Catholics, the Blacks, the Whites, and everyone else can just be Americans and work toward a better tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So we're on for Saturday morning 9am at the Paulding Republicans meeting?

Shane Kenny said...

I can't this week. Take notes though and fill me in. It will be interesting to hear what they have to say following the election. Is Chris going to go with you?

Anonymous said...

He's not sure he can. I will take notes though.

Shane Kenny said...

I will check and see if my neighbor wants to go as well. He wants to get involved as well. Tired of sitting on the sidelines.