Saturday, September 13, 2008

Sheeple

Last night I needed gas. I got in my truck and the "Check Gauge" light was already on. Since I have been driving my 1996 Ford Explorer since 1997 I knew that I could make it to one of my "home" gas stations without any problems. Driving in my best conversation mode I got to the Kroger and was surprised that at 10:00 at night there was a line 3 or 4 deep for each pump. Plus, they were only advertising a price for premium. Fearing I would not make it to the gas station up the road I made a break for it anyway and held my breathe. I made it, but all of the pumps were closed down there (the old bag over the handle trick). I pulled into a parking spot and called my brother who brought me a couple gallons he had for his lawn mower and I was able to make it home.

I guess people had heard some news report that we had several oil refineries in the path of Hurricane Ike. That must mean we will run out of gas in Atlanta in the next couple of days. What they didn't know is that President Bush had already relaxed some rules on oil imports making it easier to get foreign oil in, and that only 22% of our oil refineries would be affected by the hurricane. I expressed my frustration with people to my friend Chris and he his response was, "Sheeple are stupid". I thought that this was an appropriate way to describe this particular behavior. Not sure if this is a Chris-original but I am giving him credit for coining a new term that you will hear me using from now on.

No comments: